Background: Materials are made from different types of atoms and combination of atoms. The different combinations gives the materials different electrical properties. When putting together 2 objects the electrons are forced to interact together. When they interact they build a charge. Some items have electrons that pass and connect easier than others creating a larger charge. Conductors allow the electrons to pass through very easily, while insulators allow electrons to pass which much difficulty.
- Rice Krispies
- Static Electricity Recording Sheet for children
- Large blow up copy for instructor to record
Lesson: We will explore static electricity by charging a balloon and seeing if the electrons interact easily or difficult with other materials. We will explain by stating all materials have electrons and can interact with other electrons.
- Rub a balloon on the piece of wool and get the electrons charged.
- Explain the balloon has created a negative charge with rubbing while the Rice Krispies still have a positive charge of electrons. They should interact strongly because they are opposites.
- Explain all materials have electrons but some can interact their electrons better than others. Introduce insulators and conductors. Conductors allow energy to flow through easily then insulators.
- Pass out Static Electricity handout
- Charge all the items one by one and see if they interact easily or with difficulty
- Record your results, be sure to make prediction